Wimbledon and Putney Commons comprise approximately 1140
acres or 460 hectares of open land with heath, woodland streams and ponds.
It is not a park and is kept in as natural a state as possible so although
there are many footpaths, cycle paths and horse rides be aware that there
are also bogs, ditches and brambles. To add to the hazards there is also
a golf course on part of the Commons.
Historically the Commons were the waste land of the village
but not everyone had the right to use it. The land was owned by the Lord
of the Manor and it was his tenants who had rights of common to graze
limited numbers of cows, sheep, horses and pigs and to take three cartloads
of wood each year.
Management of the Commons
Not far from the Windmill, adjoining the Clerk and Ranger’s Office, is the Information Centre where displays record the history and the natural history of Wimbledon and Putney Commons. The information centre is wheelchair friendly and it is open every day from 9.0 am to 4.30 pm and admission is free. There is a video showing the natural history of the Commons (ask at the office if it is not showing) and it also contains a section on a visit to the Windmill Museum.
There is more information about the commons at www.wpcc.org.uk
To get in touch please email email@example.com