The post was hollow so that an iron shaft
could be taken down inside it to turn the millstones on the
floor below. It was therefore known as a hollow- post mill.
It was built by a Roehampton carpenter in 1817 to serve
the local community.
There were already large mills on the River Wandle but
the local residents did not trust factory produced flour
and wanted to grind their own ‘organically’