The mill stopped working in 1864 when the
Lord of the Manor, the 5th Earl Spencer, announced his intention
to enclose Wimbledon Common and build himself a new manor
house on the site of the mill. Local opposition led to a legal
battle lasting six years which was resolved by the Wimbledon
and Putney Commons Act of 1871 which handed over the commons
to the local community, together with the burden of maintenance
and an annuity to be paid to the Spencer family.
After it stopped working the mill was converted into living
accommodation for six families. One room has been retained
to give an idea of the living conditions in 1870.
1870s room diorama